Study Abroad


We encourage students to take advantage of the opportunity to study abroad for a semester or a full academic year. Studying in a foreign country is an intellectually stimulating experience for students in Comparative Literature and units can be transferred for UC credit. Students typically apply during the year before they wish to attend. For information about the Education Abroad Program (EAP), visit the EAP web site, and locate their various study centers worldwide.

As a general rule, units taken while studying abroad through EAP are easily converted to UC credits. Comparative Literature majors can petition to apply up to 24 upper-division units of EAP course credit to the Comparative Literature major requirements. Up to 8 upper-division units of EAP course credit may be petitioned for the Comparative Literature minor. Before embarking on your trip abroad, you should check with the Staff Undergraduate Advisor and/or the Faculty Undergraduate Advisor to make sure you select the courses that best mesh with your academic goals and degree requirements. Immediately upon returning to UCSB, you should make an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor to review your study abroad units and make sure they are applied to the appropriate areas of your major or minor.

For more information about Comparative Literature study abroad, check out the following link. For more general information, visit the UCSB Education Abroad Program's website at You may also visit the EAP Office at 2431 South Hall or call at (805) 893-3763



Contact the Admissions Office before making your decision to ensure you will be able to receive UC units for your program. When you return, bring a copy of the Credit Memo (stating what UC credit you receive for study abroad work) to the department office and petition the courses for your Comparative Literature major/minor. In order to ensure application of study abroad coursework to your major/minor, it is always a good idea to retain syllabi from the courses you take and bring copies to the Undergraduate Advisor upon your return for department approval.