Study Abroad

Education Abroad Program

We encourage students to take advantage of the opportunity to study abroad for a semester or a full academic year. Studying in a foreign country is an intellectually stimulating experience for students in Comparative Literature and units can be transferred for UC credit. Students typically apply during the year before they wish to attend. For information about the Education Abroad Program (EAP), visit the EAP web site, and locate their various study centers worldwide.

Comparative Literature majors can petition to apply up to 24 upper-division units of EAP course credit to the Comparative Literature major requirements. Up to 8 upper-division units of EAP course credit may be petitioned for the Comparative Literature minor. Make an appointment with the Undergraduate Advisor to talk about your abroad units and petition for applying to the right areas of your major or minor. You can also check with the Staff Undergraduate Advisor and/or the Faculty Undergraduate Advisor before embarking on your study abroad to make sure you select the proper courses while studying abroad.

For more information about Comparative Literature study abroad, check out the following link. 

For more information, please contact:
EAP Office
2431 South Hall
Phone: (805) 893-3763

or visit the UCSB Education Abroad Program's website at

What if I’m studying abroad but not with EAP?

Contact the Admissions Office to make sure you will receive UC units for your program. When you return, bring a copy of the Credit Memo (stating what UC credit you receive for study abroad work) to the department office and petition the courses for your Comparative Literature major/minor. In order to ensure application of study abroad coursework to your major/minor, bring syllabi of the courses you take to the Undergraduate Advisor for department approval.