Satisfying your foreign language & course load requirements

10. Satisfying your Foreign Language Requirement

Students are admitted into the program with a demonstrated proficiency in at least one foreign language; in rare cases, students will be allowed to improve their first foreign language skills after entering our program. Students must also demonstrate proficiency in a second foreign language. There are several ways to do this:

a) taking an upper division course or graduate course where the readings are in the target language and earning at least a B+;

b) passing a translation exam[1] or

c) taking a proficiency course offered specifically for graduate students (such as French 11A and 11B or German 1G and 2G) and earning at least a B+.

Students are expected to complete the requirement before advancing to candidacy, with a few exceptions to be granted by petition to the Graduate Division, with the approval of Graduate Advisor. 

[1] This typically consists in translating a passage of approximately 400-500 words from a critical text.

11. Satisfying your Course Load Requirements

11.1 Unit Requirement

Both MA and PhD graduate students must enroll in and complete 12 units per quarter. Students must enroll in at least two graduate level courses per quarter for letter grade until advanced to candidacy, except during their field exam quarters or during the quarter in which they are writing their dissertation prospectus, at which time they may enroll in graduate level courses and/or in independent studies on a P/NP (S/U) basis.

11.2. Independent studies

With the approval of the Faculty Graduate Advisor, four units of independent study courses (numbered 596-599) may be taken for letter grade during the quarters the student is not writing an exam or preparing the dissertation prospectus. Consult the Faculty Graduate Advisor about whether it is advisable to enroll in one of these courses in a particular quarter. Courses numbered 591, 597 and 598 (pedagogy and/or research-oriented courses) may not be used towards meeting the minimum unit requirement for the MA degree. As for courses numbered 596 (Directed Reading and Research), the maximum number of these units that may be counted toward the MA is 4 units. While the student is free to enroll in additional 596 units, none of the additional units will count toward fulfillment of University unit requirements for the MA degree. (See course catalog for a fuller description of these courses: