Forms & Travel Support


  1. Plan of Study, with all requirements, MA to PhD: Please make sure you fill up the form as you progress toward your degree; bring the updated form to your advising session every quarter. From the download area below, choose either the MA/PhD form (excel format) or the PhD one (excel format), according to your status.
  2. Quarterly Planning and Progress Check: Bring this form to your quarterly advising sessions in fall and winter. Comparative Literature Proposed Class Schedule and Progress Check  
  3. Annual Review Form: Please download the document according to your status as pre-ABD or ABD students.
  4. Field Examinations Forms: The reading list and abstract form need to be completed and signed by all committee members, as well as the Chair or DGS at the beginning of the quarter during which you will take the examination.

       5. Coursework: Please fill out this form when you wish to do an independent study instead of a seminar, and you wish to complete it for a letter grade (Comparative Literature 596). This is only possible under exceptional circumstances. Please download below the form for Comparative Literature 596.

II. Intercampus Exchange Program for Graduate Students:

  • Applicants must have completed at least one academic year (three quarters) of residence at UCSB and be in good academic standing.
  • Graduate students seeking to take classes in their major or language courses or use facilities not available at UCSB, or study with a professor at another UC campus can apply for the IEPGS program.
  • To get the form, please click on the link for the IEPGSApplication on the download area.

III. Travel to Conference Grant

There are 3 ways to get funding for traveling to important professional conferences.

  1. If you are advanced to candidacy (you are ABD), you may apply for a travel grant from the Graduate Division via the Academic Senate. A graduate student may receive only one Graduate Student Travel Grant during the course of his/her graduate studies at UCSB. Check:
  2. You may also apply for departmental funding. Please download and fill out the form in the area below entitled "Application for Travel to Conference" prior to your travel and at least 21 days before the conference. Submit it to the Chair (or Vice Chair) for signature, along with: 1) the abstract of the paper; 2) a copy of the formal invitation to participate in the conference (or evidence of participation). After your travel, submit the signed form to the Financial Assistant (Phelps 5206C) along with the form entitled: “Travel Reimbursement Worksheet”, and the required supporting documents.
  3. You can also get funding from the Graduate Center for Literary Research, which awards travel grants to students giving papers at literary conferences. More information is available here: